Tuesday, July 1, 2008

let's all go to the movies

Well, 2008 is half over. I’m sure that you have been counting down the days to this halfway point of the year, knowing that every six months I post the reviews of the movies I’ve seen in the previous half year. As always, the rule is movies I saw for the first time. I watched an average of 1.04 movies a week. That sounds pretty reasonable, but I guess I did watch a fair amount of TV on DVD in the first two quarters of 2008. But that doesn’t factor into this list.

1. Superbad
I watched it with my dad. He loved it. It was kinda disturbing actually how much he laughed at some parts of it.

2. 27 Dresses
I watched it with my mom. We both liked it. It’s predictable but enjoyable.

3. Juno
Probably my favorite movie of the year so far.

4. Year of the Dog
It’s kind of hard for me to relate to people who feel this strongly about animals. But I like that Peter Sarsgaard. I hope he got rid of all those SARS-Guards.

5. Away from Her
It seemed moving at the time but now all I seem to remember are all the accolades Julie Christie got.

6. Shine
Do you remember that band Collective Soul? And their mega-hit “Shine”? What if this movie was about the making of that song, and not about pianist David Helfgott? Would you find this movie more or less awesome?

7. Kicking and Screaming
This may not be very politically correct to point out, but I loved that little midget Asian kid. Byong Sun!

8. The Contract
This is a movie with John Cusack and Morgan Freeman that I think might have gone directly to DVD. It is hard for me to understand why. What was interesting about this movie to me at least is that the movie takes place in Washington State (albeit with fictionalized names, with one real-life exception…that was weird). If this movie was filmed in Washington State and John Cusack and I were in the SAME STATE and NO ONE TOLD ME, then I will not be very happy at all. I’m not even going to look it up because I don’t want to know. It would depress me just too much.

9. Hard Candy
I was investigating Ellen Page’s earlier, edgier roots. It’s not a very easy movie to watch.

10. Michael Clayton
I don’t think I understood the end of this movie, and I haven’t talked to anyone who could satisfactorily explain it to me.

11. Across the Universe
It was too long. I personally would cut about 55 minutes, and I would start with cutting the lines that make it really obvious that a certain song is about to be sung (for example, when the guy is all like, “blah blah blah revolution” and it’s like, how long will it take them to break into “Revolution”?)

12. Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
This movie is so adorable and it has the guy from “Pushing Daisies” in it, walking around and being charming.

13. About a Son
I was ambivalent about this movie. It was about Kurt Cobain. He was in a band called Nirvana.

14. La Vie en Rose
After I watched this movie, I felt bad for picking Julie Christie over Marion Cotillard in my Oscar pool. Particularly because I would have won more points if I’d picked Marion Cotillard. But on a side note, I don’t think we need to scramble the chronological order of movies just to be edgy.

15. Alvin and the Chipmunks
Look, I know I’m not supposed to like it, because I am mature and squeaky chipmunks are for little kids. But I just laughed and laughed at those little chipmunks. Especially when they sang their little ditties. For anyone who is wondering, my fish Alvin is still alive and he is doing fine!

16. Dan in Real Life
Look, I enjoy Steve Carell as much as the next person. But what I really love is the song “Let My Love Open the Door.” And I’m getting really sick of movies using this song to manipulate my emotions. The only exception is Grosse Pointe Blank.

17. Walk Hard
Look, I just noticed how much I’m starting sentences by saying “Look.” I know if you’re reading this blog you’re probably already looking. And I am not really starved for attention. So I am sorry. I generally liked this movie, especially the scene with the Beatles.

18. Enchanted
I like that Amy Adams. This movie was a little hard to watch, though, because my Netflix copy of it broke during the big climactic song and I had to request a new one and what should have been a quick 90 minutes of my life turned into a four-day endeavor. But I guess it was worth it. Does everyone know the story of how I saw Patrick Dempsey in real life? If not, let me know.

19. Lars and the Real Girl
I loved it.

20. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
It was a non-stop action ride. Don’t take it too seriously and you’ll have a great time (that is also true for the movie below). My only disappointment? I couldn’t live blog it as I did the first three Indiana Jones movies.

21. Sex and the City
Anyone who didn’t like it can kiss my ass. What did you expect? For Sex and the City to suddenly become Citizen Kane? Personally I never wanted it to end.

22. Reservation Road
Some of the emotional trajectories of the characters confused me a bit, but I’d watch Joaquin Phoenix do just about anything.

23. Once
I didn’t love it as much as I wanted to, but perhaps I just waited too long to see it. But some of the songs are great.

24. Be Kind Rewind
I know the reviews told me not to get my hopes up, but I got my hopes up anyway. Then I was disappointed. I can only be glad of the small blessing that Jack Black didn’t look too much like my brother in this one, to the point of distraction.

25. Happiness
Let’s say that you don’t feel very well. You just kinda need to lay on the couch and watch a movie to take your mind off feeling sick. But you don’t know this movie is about pedophiles and sorts of depravities? Well, then you’re not in for a very good night.

26. Clerks
I wonder what kind of movie I could churn out for $28,000. Someone give me the money and we’ll find out. I’ll even give you a part in the movie.

27. Grace is Gone
So as I watched this movie last evening, the sky got grey and dark. Lightning flickered across the sky. When the movie ended, the sky was all yellow and golden. I went out on my balcony to investigate and saw a rainbow. Do I think John Cusack sent me this rainbow as a sign of our unending love? Yes. Yes I do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Contract was filmed in Bulgaria.

Molly said...

Well, that's a load off my mind!