Sunday, July 13, 2008

Book #6: On Chesil Beach

The book: On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan

What is this book about: Edward and Florence are on their honeymoon in 1962. They love each either but are both nervous about how the process of consummating the marriage is going to go.

Why did I read this book: Well, it was fairly critically acclaimed, and it was also fairly short. My books-read count for the year is low. I mean, one of the books was War and Peace but I’d still like a respectable number by the end of the year. So don’t be surprised if I start reading all really short books around October.

What did I think of this book: I don’t really know what I think of this book. I was sort of underwhelmed when I read it, and then I read what a bunch of people online were saying about it. What was weird was I agreed with the people who reviewed the book favorably, but then I also agreed with some of the bad reviews. I guess I could go either way on it.

And I’ve only read two Ian McEwan books now, but they had kinda the same characters and themes, but they’re so well-written that you feel like a schmuck criticizing them. Or saying anything that might reveal that you didn’t “get” it, whatever deep thing you were supposed to get. This may not make any sense. Ian McEwan I am not, and this paragraph is now almost as long as one chapter of On Chesil Beach.

What was my favorite part of this book: I don’t know if I had a favorite part.

What did I learn from this book: England is so crazy!

What grade do I give this book: a passing one.

No comments: