Sunday, April 27, 2008

Book #2: How Can I Keep From Singing?

The book: How Can I Keep From Singing? The Ballad of Pete Seeger, by David King Dunaway

What is this book about: It’s a biography of Pete Seeger.

Why did I read this book: I have been looking for this book forever. Whenever I went into a bookstore, new or used, I’d check to see if they had a copy. I knew the book was out of print, but I held out hope. Then one day, not only did I find a copy, it was a revised version of the original, with corrections and input provided by Pete Seeger. So thank goodness I didn’t read the old version.

What did I think of this book: I recently watched Pete Seeger: The Power of Song on PBS. It’s a documentary that just makes you feel that you can change the world with hope and a song. I think if you want an idealistic view of Pete, just watch that. But I read an interview with Pete where he describes it as something like, “a little to elegiac.” A little too much of a loving obituary for someone who’s not dead.

To my mind, this book was a little more of the warts-and-all view of Pete. Grumpy Pete and Disillusioned Pete show up a lot more than the Enthusiastic Singer Pete that you see in the PBS doc. At first it made me a little uncomfortable, but hero worship makes Pete Seeger uncomfortable. And I guess it’s a good reminder that you have to get angry about some things to put your life out there to change them.

What was my favorite part of this book: The section on the HUAC testimony and the fallout from that was pretty interesting.

What did I learn from this book: Intertwining your life with your art can make you miserable, but sometimes you don’t have a choice. Pete’s wife, Toshi, deserves a ton of credit for his success. Die with a hammer in your hand. The right song at the right time can change the world. Even if you’re blacklisted.

What I wish I had learned from this book: How to play the banjo.

What grade do I give this book: B-

No comments: