Sunday, July 15, 2007

Book #18: The Kite Runner

The book: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

What is this book about: This book lays the story of a boy named Amir against the historical events of Afghanistan, from the mid-1970's on. As a boy, Amir is too cowardly to stand up for his friend Hassan, who is also the son of the family's servant and a Hazara. Even in adulthood, Amir cannot shake the guilt of what happened, and must eventually go back to Afghanistan to face his past.

Why did I read this book: I guess everyone in the world has read this book now except me?

What did I think of this book: I was discussing this book with my cousin recently, who was reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, and my cousin said The Kite Runner was "predictable formulaic storytelling, but it's a good story all the same." (Or something like that) And I would have to say I agree. It's a page turner in all the right parts, but I think that really worked for the book, because you get so into the story that you're not tripping over foreign words or phrases, and by the time that you're in the middle of the book, all of those words have become second nature, practically.

What was my favorite part of this book: I liked this quote from page 359: "I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night."

What did I learn from this book: That our actions and choices echo throughout all of our lives.

What grade do I give this book: B

No comments: