Sunday, July 8, 2007

Book #16: Special Topics in Calamity Physics

The book: Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl

What is this book about: This book is about Blue Van Meer, a senior in high school has been moved around the country by her father, an academic who has provided Blue with an astounding education. He's the center of her world, but in her senior year of high school, she falls in with the "cool kids" almost by mistake. The kids, and Blue, are captivated by their ringleader of a teacher. Mysteries and intrigue and literary references ensue.

Why did I read this book: I forget what review I read of this book when it first came out, but I wanted to read it immediately (I waited for the paperback). Plus, the author grew up in Asheville, but I've never heard of her.

What did I think of this book: The book's best feature is also, in some ways, its worst. Most people who read this book tell you about the language...the back cover even includes a review with the term "literary pyrotechnics." It's so well-written, with a searing detail in every line, and it's pretty thrilling to read a book like that. But I was also constantly distracted by it. I kept wondering, how could this person ever write another book, when it seems that she's used every single observation she's ever had about literature, high school, parenting, mysteries, humanity, etc., on this one? If this is her writing style, is she doomed?

It was never boring, but it was a bit of a trudge to get through the first 300 pages, where "nothing" really happens. Of course, in the last 200 pages, everything comes together and makes sense, but really....maybe some editing?

But even with those caveats, these were interesting characters in interesting circumstances.

What was my favorite part of this book: When it all came together and finally turned into a page-turner.

What did I learn from this book: I don't read enough. (The main character has read like every book in the world)

What grade do I give this book: A-

No comments: