Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Both sides of an issue: Do mosquito bites confer super powers?

People, I don’t mind telling you that I am COVERED in mosquito bites. COVERED. From what I can gather, the mosquitoes needed my blood so they could break it down into amino acids and lay eggs or something. But what about me? Do I get anything out of the deal?

So I asked myself, “Molly, what would you like to get out of this deal?” And I quickly came to an answer: super powers. So today I pondered this question: What is the likelihood that mosquito bites can confer super powers? My conclusions follow.

Yes—Mosquito bites confer super powers.
--If a spider bite gives Spiderman power, than surely a mosquito bite does something.
--The constant itching clears our mind and forces all distractions out of the way, thus leaving us open for greatness.
--The scary appearance of huge red bumps keeps people, including potential enemies, away.
--Sucking blood is a pretty powerful thing if all these vampires are to be believed.
--Why else would Bill Gates want to get rid of them?
--I’m intrigued by the word “thorax.” (this was more just a thought I had when I was reading the Wikipedia page on mosquitoes.)
--Ready-made costume: mosquito nets?
--Malaria would be a good name for a superhero.
-- Larviciding sounds more ominous than Kryptonite, thus giving the superhero a realistic achilles’ heel

No—There is no way that mosquito bites can confer super powers.
--Too busy itching to really put up a good fight against possible enemies
--An infectious disease is not a super power, Molly.
--Mosquitoes can lay like hundreds of eggs at a time. If they haven’t already banded together to take over the world, they’re probably incapable of doing so, and the probably won’t share their life force with humans.
--Mosquitoes are pretty tiny.
--Nectar = empty calories
--I have not really developed any super powers as of yet.
--The natural predator of mosquitoes is the dragonfly, which is a much better name. If there is any insect that can confer super powers, then it is probably the dragonfly.

So after a good 15 minutes of hard thinking, the tally stands 9 in favor of mosquito bites conferring super powers, with 7 items on the other side. More studies are needed.

No comments: