Sunday, October 12, 2008

Book #9: Driving Mr. Albert

The book: Driving Mr. Albert: A Trip Across America with Einstein's Brain by Michael Paterniti

What is this book about: It's an account of the cross-country journey that journalist Michael Paterniti made with Thomas Harvey, the man who took Albert Einstein's brain as part of performing the autopsy. Also along for the journey: Albert Einstein's brain, encased in Tupperware. Along the way we learn some things about Einstein, relics, time, beat poets, failure and America.

Why did I read this book: For work.

What did I think of this book: This book had a lot of elements that I seek out in other books, namely, a long trip across a country, biography, religion (in this case, Einstein's brain is repeatedly likened to an icon of worship), and the realization that coming-of-age never really ends. Also, I liked that it was a quick read.

What was my favorite part of this book: The parts where people touch brains.

What did I learn from this book: That there's this place in Kansas where a man created an entire garden of Eden out of cement. I need to go there. Also, I learned some interesting facts about Einstein and his brain that will hopefully help with the work-related reasons that I read this book.

What grade do I give this book: B+

No comments: