Monday, September 15, 2008

not every idea is a winner

Sometimes I have ideas for blog entries that don’t always make it to the blog for one reason or another. Sometimes they exist better as ideas and nebulous concepts, so I abandon them, or sometimes I get too lazy and I abandon them. Here are some recent ideas that did not make it to the blog in full post form, but seem sorta worth mentioning:

Idea 1: Passive-aggressive notes to myself
Last week at work, we had a burst of excitement when people started leaving passive-aggressive notes in the ladies bathroom about the use of air freshener. The office was abuzz. Who was left the note? Then the counter-notes started appearing. It was so funny. Passive-aggressiveness in the workplaces is one of my favorite things ever. I found it so funny, in fact, that I thought a good blog entry would be writing passive-aggressive notes to myself, and then leaving them around my apartment, and then taking pictures to show how funny passive-aggressive notes can be. I wrote up a few, but then I realized that pictures of passive-aggressive notes written to myself wouldn’t look very funny. It would look, in fact, like I had a mental illness.

Idea 2: More Olympics Stuff
I actually had a ton of Olympics blog ideas that I never got around to because time slipped away from me, and next thing I knew, the Olympics were over. But here’s one that I started a little bit…I was going to give Olympic medals to some people and things other than athletes. So far, I had come up with this:

Interestingly Named Presidents
Gold – Abraham Lincoln
Silver – Millard Fillmore
Bronze – Grover Cleveland, Rutherford B. Hayes (tie)

Handsomest Vice-Presidents
Gold – Thomas Hendricks
Silver – Levi Morton
Bronze – Charles Dawes

Breakfast Meats
Gold – Sausage
Silver – Bacon
Bronze - Fried chicken

Features of Microsoft Word that have the tendency to annoy me
Gold – Bullets, when they get all funky
Silver – That little paragraph symbol that puts all the dots between the words
Bronze – When letters get automatically capitalized or rearranged in a way I don’t want

That didn’t really seem like enough to post in and of itself, and then the Olympics were over, and that file lay dormant until now.

Idea 3: Cooking without Colanders
I tried to make some spaghetti, but I forgot that I gave my old colander to Goodwill before I moved to Atlanta, and I never bought another one. I was going to write about my misadventures realizing halfway through the spaghetti process that I was sans colander. I came up with the line, “my emotions were drained like I wish my spaghetti would be,” and “I feel like my heart is the thing that went through the sieve,” but that’s about all I had. And as it turns out, the process didn’t end up all that bad. The spaghetti was a little watery but probably not worth its own entry.

Idea 4: Hurricanes
I was going to write something about how they name hurricanes. When I was a little kid, I always wanted there to be a Hurricane Molly going through somewhere. But I got particularly upset about the name of Hurricane Ike, because it made me think of our beloved 34th president, Dwight D. Eisenhower. Whenever I saw a headline like, “Ike ravages coast” or whatever, I just got confused and offended on behalf of the Eisenhower estate. It seemed like the headlines were reporting major foreign policy fiascos of the 1950s, such as the headline, “Ike gives Cuba final kick and moves on.” But I didn’t end up writing this, except in this very shortened form, because once Ike started doing serious damage, it seemed too flippant.

No comments: